Wednesday, December 14

Food for Thought


Did anyone else catch this segment on The Today Show this morning? 

Living on $20k a year.

Here's the video clip in case you missed it.   I promise it's worth watching.




(That house?  A-MAZ-ING.)

Does this sound a little like anyone you know? Does this sound like you? Are you a self-proclaimed cheapskate?

I thoroughly enjoyed learning of their story...even chuckled a little while watching because it reminds me so much of my husband and me. 
Him: chopping wood every weekend to keep our fire going through the week. 
Me: storing our bathroom towels in a piece of furniture that I found on the curb on trash day.

Do you shop for furniture on the side of the road? Create art from something you picked up on a walk? Make frequent trips to the thrift store or dump? Do you re-purpose anything and everything you can just to save a dollar or two?  Do you try to heat your home for FREE with a fire instead of racking up the heat bill? (personally, when we make it through a night without the heat kicking on....I feel like I've hit the lottery!)

While all of us may not go to these extremes: skipping the cable tv, foregoing a savings account or emergency fund, qualify for state-supported health care, etc....I think that many of us can still relate to their story.  In this way:

The basic principle of SIMPLE LIVING. SIMPLE LIVING. SIMPLE LIVING.

Not wanting to be tied down to money, or debt. Realizing that the most important things in life aren't things at all.

If this sounds like you, then this book may be worth reading:



No, I haven't read it.  But I'm putting it on my to-do list.  Should we all run out and buy a used copy? ;-)

Here's to hoping the story inspires you a little today too.  Enjoy the day! 

xoxo
LeAnne

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the video...I had not seen this, so glad you posted it.

    We just learned that The Husbands social security will increase in January, ...that puts us at near poverty level ... I would have NEVER thought we could live comfortably on so little, but the LORD has shown us how.
    We do a lot of these same things. Making do with cast offs and using what we have on hand. The Husband certainly wouldn't have thought of living this way...(he still thinks we're poor). But like the woman in the video said-- "we're poor on paper..." Now if I could just convince The Husband of that, it would take some of the stress off.

    I like to see all the many ways we can save and do things cheaper. It thrills me!

    Thanks again for posting this~ Pat

    ReplyDelete