Sunday, August 14

A New Coffee Table and Other Ramblings.


If you remember, I made a pallet table for our new place using a spare pallet from our pile and some industrial wheels.  Well, we figured out the pallet table was going to be way too huge for our space, after measuring the room and our furnishings.  I tried to stick to my guns for the longest time, determined as all get-out to use that dern table.  But in the end, the space won.  And I'm glad it did because I'm even happier with the replacement.

But we'll get to that in a minute.

First a couple re-dos.

I painted our $40 farm table white.  It used to be green, which was fine, but one day I decided it didn't need to be green anymore.  So I fixed it. 


{Please excuse the mess on top.  And all around.  And yes, that is our kitchen sink.  Our $5 kitchen sink.  And I love it.  Is that okay?  Or maybe crazy?}

We also had this old curio cabinet in our garage for AGES not being used because I just didn't love the wood.  I finally fixed it up and painted it with the same white paint as the kitchen table and now I'm in love. 





Ok, in the background of that last picture, do you see my "new" table?

So, I found an old chicken crate in Asheville a couple weeks ago. You may have noticed that chicken crates are kinda popular right now, so it's not easy to find one on the cheap. Thankfully, I shopped around for a while and passed by a few others in the $60 range and not so great shape.  Although I do think this is a fairly normal price, I just didn't want to shell out the money.  I'm stingy.  You already know that.  Finally, I found one in much better condition for $39....well worth the extra effort and time spent looking.  SOLD!

Next step.  I took the wheels off my pallet table and transferred them to my chicken crate instead.  I Lysol'ed the heck out of that thing too...because no one wants to kick off their shoes and rest their feet on a pile of chicken poo!  The crate received a little sanding and 2 coats of Tung Oil.  I had a piece of glass cut for the top - the price was fair and it was ready in less than an hour. 

So the table will be a conversation piece for sure. Best part....it comes with usable storage space!  I intentionally left the glass unsecured on top because I want to be able to use the really cool door (I guess originally intended for the chickens.)  And since I won't be storing any live chickens in there, I'll probably stuff some books and other goodies inside for a touch of "functional" decor.



This was a really easy and quick project that anyone can do.  If you can't find a chicken coop, it would work well with other objects too....as long as the basic shape makes sense for a coffee table.

Now, on to the house.  We're making progress.  Visible progress.  So glad.

My husband cut down a few more trees to open up the view.  Good move, I think.




He also added knee braces to the exterior columns.  Another good move on his part.



The doors are installed and painted.




The wall paneling is in progress.


Our chimney is installed for the wood stove.


 And the hardwoods were delivered.  These are 10 inch pine planks.  Lumber Liquidators advertised them as 8 inch, but they're actually 10".  And I am thrilled!


On another note, my "mailbox" plants are growing in nicely, despite this TERRIBLE heat and drought. 


And my dog LOVES chasing birds into the ocean.  Fearless.


If only I had his energy.....

Xo,
LeAnne

No comments:

Post a Comment