Monday, August 1

Mirror Mirror on the Wall


Ok, so maybe not "ON" the wall per se.  This piece is WAY to heavy to be hanging anywhere.  It's definitely the "lean on the wall" type.  But anyway....

This antique mirror is a family piece, meaning it will be sticking with me {that's my motto - nothing from the family gets sold}. 






And although it will be sticking with me, the gold just doesn't agree with my cottage style.  Don't get me wrong...I do appreciate touches of gilt here and there....but this was just a little much for me.

Fortunately, I have a lot of paint samples sitting around.  At least a dozen colors that were all in the running for our new place.  And of course, I won't let them go to waste.

I chose the Urbane Bronze sample to makeover the mirror.  Why? No reason really...just thought I'd give it a whirl.  I whitewashed a tad on top of the dark gray and finished it off with a light distressing and dry-brushed wood stain.




She's still a little fancy but at least she's not SO flashy anymore.  I think its a nice compromise.  What do you think?  How much gold is too much?  Or is there ever such a thing?

xo
LeAnne





5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this really a Norris family antique? It can't just "lean" against a wall, it will have to be bolted or secured somehow...somebody now, or in the future, even Barley, could knock it down... :>) Mom

    Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful! love the bronze...Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, so pretty! You did a marvelous job restoring it. I love the color! It worked really well with the frame! I'm having a giveaway for customized labels! Would that help you with your shop? Hope so! www.alittleknickknack.com

    ReplyDelete