Thursday, January 13

Mid-Century Modern Danish Desk Re-Do

First, let me start by saying that mid-century modern is completely not my style.  

I have friends who pull off the look really well...{you know who you are...Miss Carrie}  At times, I wish I could do the same.  Clean lines, simple design, "cool" and of-the-moment.  Reminds me of staying in a chic hotel in downtown Atlanta with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the city.

But I just can't do it.  I'm not modern.  I'm cali-girl gone country and currently wearing a men's red and green plaid flannel shirt. Yes, I am.

When I saw this desk at our local Habitat Re-Store, I knew it needed help.  


{Yes, that is a piece of gum stuck underneath....go figure}

It wasn't a piece that I would typically go for, but the price was right and I really didn't want to go home empty handed.  Could I make modern a little more..."me?"

I wasn't sure.  I think I restarted this one five times.  I just couldn't get it right.  I loved the original paint, but as much as I'm not modern, I'm not yellow either.  So a solid yellow desk just didn't appeal to me.  I needed some creamy whites mixed in and some old wood peaking through.  I heard it screaming...."Make me worthy of a white farmhouse in the country!"  Yes, sometimes my furniture talks to me.  

I whitewashed it, didn't like it.  I painted it solid, didn't like it. I sanded it all down and started over.  I stained it, didn't like it.  I sanded it down again.  Either I got so delirious that I started liking all the crazy layers of mess-ups or I got so tired of trying that I gave up.  Not sure, but this is what I ended up with.  












{I had to re-do the inside of the drawers too....since they were covered in this oh-so-lovely wallpaper:}


I added the hinges to the right-side drawer as well.  {Well, it was supposed to be a drawer, but the drawer was missing and all I had to work with was the front part.} 


 
So there you have it.  My attempt to make modern not so "modern."  

If I were to keep this desk, and make it my own, I would probably turn it into a bar console.  

But I'm not going to keep it.  So here are some other things it could be:

An awesome baby-changing station  {*see my mother's comment below...obviously, i'm not a mom yet!}
A bathroom vanity
A sofa table with some extra storage built in
A craft center
A spare dresser/workstation combo for a guest room
A Mid-Century Modern Danish Desk gone a little bit country

xo
LeAnne

WhisperWood Cottage
Furniture Feature Fridays



7 comments:

  1. I got a mid-century modern hutch that I'm in the process of redoing and it has the exact same metal legs! Great job by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that style called "Shaker"...Looks good, but can NOT be a baby changing table...there are no ledges or bumpers on the side to keep a wiggly baby from rolling right off...Mom/Grandma :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! love the yellow. did you re do this? or did it come with the yellow? either way it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love how it turned out! I know that was a lot of work with all of the do overs but the end result looks authentic (which is what we all strive for) so a big 'way to go' to you! JenT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I have a desk similar from my MIL and plan to redo it once our house is finished (may not be my lifetime tho, going on year 16!). It too has wallpaper inside but mine is black, gold and white!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of the layers make it look authentically old. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete