Tuesday, January 11

Farmhouse Chic.

This morning at 9 a.m. my husband and I ventured out to the post office so I could ship out a couple recent Etsy sales.  If it weren't for him, those packages would still be sitting on our kitchen table.  Why?  Because I'M.A.COMPLETE.WUSS. 

I really don't care that I have 4-wheel drive or that my vehicle has a special knob that magically turns it into a snow and ice machine.  Nope, doesn't matter.  In fact, if you ask me, that magical knob is purely decoration. I'd rather walk.

The "Mr." on the other hand, LOVES the challenge.  So, because of that, he didn't charge too high of a fee for driving me to the post office this morning.  Kidding, he did it for free.  

In fact, I think HE should owe ME for the favor.  My work provided him with bucket full of fun.  At one point, he had the opportunity to help push a stranded motorist up an icy hill.  And in a matter of 10 minutes, 3 more cars got stuck, so he got to help them too.  We also witnessed the paper delivery boy pitch a fit when he slid into the ditch.  No worries....no one was hurt and everyone got going again.  It was actually highly entertaining.  :)  Plus, it made the drive worthwhile for my husband.  What man wouldn't enjoy the adventure?  

{Side note - Honest to Goodness.  This is no joke.  As I am typing this, I am watching a car and a rope pull a john boat full of people down our street through the snow.  I would take a picture for you, but they passed by too quick.  I have no words other than this is Life in the South.}



So anyway, as you can probably imagine, there isn't much landscaping work to be done when the world is covered in 8" of snow and ice.  I will be taking advantage of the little lull in work and try to get a few projects completed.  Hooray!

The following is a recent re-do.   I adore this antique cupboard.  To the best of my knowledge, solid pine.  Its super heavy and sturdy and obviously hand made.  *{LOVE}*  

Here she is when I purchased her:


She was covered in thick white paint.  Again....{LOVE}.  She had the perfect farmhouse look.  So, I didn't change her much.  I decided to keep the original paint.  I only sanded her down to smooth the paint and distress her a little bit more.  I did add blue along the inside panels (a mix of baby blue and gray).  The blue will allow for the contents to "pop" once someone fills her up.  I also added a bit of antique stain and a protective finish.  

Personally, I envision her filled with a simple collection of creamy white dinnerware and sterling silver. Or, I can see her in a powder room or master bathroom filled with fluffy towels and antique glass jars of bubble bath and soap.  Wouldn't that be gorgeous? 

Anyway, here she is.  The snow makes such a pretty background, don't you think?  

{Pretty sure my neighbor thinks I'm crazy. He asked if I needed help...as I'm dragging a heavy piece of furniture through my yard into the snow.  Uh...don't mind me.  This is Totally Normal.}










What do you think?  What would you use her for?  A pantry?  A bookshelf?  A simple china cabinet?  Would love to hear your thoughts!

Oh, and by the way, there goes that john boat again!  I may go catch a ride :)

xo
LeAnne

I'm linking this to:
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/WhisperWood Cottage





Furniture Feature Fridays



27 comments:

  1. Nathan told me about the adventure to the post office :) You are going to have to tell me about your other sales!

    The cabinet looks AMAZING! You are amazing and this is just one of your many, many talents! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you and Cooper...NOW don't you LOVE living in South Carolina? :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you changed this piece! Use it anywhere, it will great I'm sure....Thanks for linking up over at Primitive and Proper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great. I love getting to see the grain of the wood on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome! I always love a cute pantry!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh i love that! so glad you are back and with something so awesome! love the back of that, and your snow pics are so pretty.... except for the cars in the ditch. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popping over from Cassie's party. Love the cabinet. Wish I could find something like that around here. Not that I have the room for it, but it is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful!!! All of that snow is making this California girl a bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you did with the shelve unit. Definately farm house look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! Perfect distressing and the hint of blue so pretty. How funny about pulling the piece outside for a snowy photo op. We are expecting a storm tonight, but not too unusual here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVING the vintage boards and the extra farmhouse appeal you embellished this with.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog....

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome piece! You turned it into a treasure with the work you put into it. Farmhouse chic for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing better than a good boat ride down a snowy road! Minnesota is filled with all kinds of winter shenanigans, but I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that! Your cabinet could go in absolutely any room in the house. It's gorgeous!! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love love love this book case!! I am so jealous! It would look perfect in my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really did a fantastic job. I'd have a hard time parting with it if I were you!! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the distressing. It gives the bookcase a new life, like it has a whole new story to tell.

    Fabulous!!!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi there- i'm following you after seeing your post on WhisperWood Cottage. Love it! Please visit me over at imnotatrophywife.blogspot.com

    laura
    i have yet to tackle a piece of furniture ...yet

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! Bookshelf for me - can never have too many and I actually need one in my living room. Too bad I'm in the frozen midwest!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have the same icy mess here in GA. Distressing the bookcase is just what it needed and adding the blue just totally threw it over the top. Great job! JenT

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is perfection...love! Visiting from WWC :)
    Enjoy your snow...I'm a Minnesota girl and I'm still a "wuss" in the snow. Thank goodness for those sweet hubbies. Have a great weekend! Laurel@chippingwithcharm

    ReplyDelete
  21. The shelf looks absolutely incredible! Fantastic, fantastic job!! Personally I think dishes would look perfect displayed on it, but really, it looks so amazing, it wouldn't matter what you put on it!

    http://downonsanford.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure and the cabinet. I am, however, that it is you and not me in all that snow. I live in southeast Texas for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm in love with the distressing! It looks like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is so cute! I'd love to use it in my kitchen. Great restoration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This cabinet out beautiful!!! It would look great displaying some white dishes or vintage silver! Actually, it would look great displaying anything! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi! what a great cabinet! i saw your link at shabby nest :)

    what a fantastic piece that is....super colors...
    xo+blessings,
    Anne Marie

    ReplyDelete
  27. this shelf just fits in the snow! What wonderful STAGING you did to best show it off! lol

    ReplyDelete