Thursday, November 4

The Hand Crafted Industrial Style Drafting Table

I really wish I had taken a before photo of this project.  It wasn't soooo bad in the original condition, but it lacked any character or personality.  It was just....plain.  No stain, no color, no nothing.

So, I used this photo from Restoration Hardware as my inspiration:

The structure of the drafting table above is nothing at all like the drafting table I brought home, but I really liked the design of the entire room, especially the subway signage in the background {which I decided to mix in with my piece.}

The project itself was fairly simple.  It only required stencils, leftover black paint, wood stain, sand paper, brushes and top finish. 

Unfortunately, I did make a few mistakes along the way.  For one, I didn't take my time with the stencils and had a lot of paint leak through where it shouldn't have.  I also got overly happy with the sandpaper and sanded way too much of the lettering off.  The result?  The signage is super discrete and hard to read, so most likely, I will re-do the letters and try again!

Even though there is still some work to be done, I couldn't resist any longer.  I LOVE drafting tables {maybe because my dad is an engineer?} and I just had to share with you guys! :)

I particularly love that this drafting table can be used for so many other things...a bar console, a side table, an entry table, a craft table, a work bench....  The versatility is really what sold me on it.  That's what "junking" is all about, right?












So what do you think? Should I fill the letters back in?

xoxo LeAnne

 

6 comments:

  1. I just love the table, reminds me of a sewing machine stand. Very cool. It looks nice as is, but I would probably redo the letters if it were me, just because I would want everyone to notice them right away, guess I'm not very discrete! lol
    The way you staged it is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose! Thanks so much for stopping by! I completely agree with you. Guess I'm not very discrete either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It does look like it was made out of an antique sewing machine stand. I love it (I have seen other tables made with painted tops; I like this one better). I like the subtle letters, but of course it's up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, beautiful. I never would have guessed that old top had such beautiful wood underneath. This is one of my favorite pieces...bet you will have this for years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your drafting table! It is such a unique piece with the iron legs and beautiful wood top. I love it just how it is with the subtle letters. I think it looks old and charming. Fabulous find and redo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is sooo cool! i love the industrial chic look!

    ReplyDelete