Tuesday, November 30

Christmas Signage

I must say, I feel like it has been forever since I've blogged...and yet it's only been a few days.   I have missed you all!

First, let me start off by sharing my excitement to have some holiday Knackage coming my way!  I ordered one of these {awesomely unique} ornaments from Knack's Etsy store and can't wait to put it on the tree!  Aren't they lovely?  Thanks Barb!

{photo courtesy of Knack}

So, speaking of the holidays, things are beginning to turn a little festive around here.  We have the tree, although there is yet to be a single ornament hung.  The mantle is an active work in progress.  The Christmas lights are out of the attic, but still in boxes.  Slowly but surely we'll get there....eventually.   :)

I do have one little project to share...something I'm linking up to the Painted Holiday Challenge over at The CSI Project.  Very simple and "plain-jane," but also super easy and free!

I started with an old pallet from my husband's shop.  He has...oh...about a few hundred sittin' around up there.  {The perks of being a landscaper's wife!!} 

I had every intention of making a console table out of these pallet boards.  I had a good friend come over and help me tear apart the pallet {which was the most difficult step}, but after that, everything else was easy-peasy.  I used a circular saw for the first time ever during this project and went crazy over it!  Serious fun right there.  And I was able to enjoy the smell of sawdust for an entire afternoon! 

Needless to say, the pallet table didn't turn out quite as I had hoped, so I compromised.  Instead, I made a couple Christmas signs to use around the house.  I've only made two so far, but I have six more boards to play with. 

I sanded down all the boards {using a belt sander} and made them super smooth:


I wanted the boards to have more of an "old barn wood aged look" so I whitewashed them three times each.  Here you can see the difference:


Then I pulled out the stencils I used for the Drafting Table and painted my signs.  For one I used gray and for the other I used a rosy-red.  After I stenciled the letters, I sanded the boards again to give the painted letters a weathered look.  Still, the boards were not "aged" enough for my taste, so I antiqued them with my standard dark stain.  


 And that's it!  Project complete.


For now, I have one hanging and one on the mantle.  As I said before, our holiday decor is still a work in progress, but I'll give you a little sneak peak.



Eventually, I will attempt to make a coffee-filter wreath for the mirror, but for now I'm using a filler.  The mirror {which is the heaviest mirror EVER....and I'm a little afraid our mantle may come crashing down from the weight of it} used to look like this and hang in our garage:


But I made her over and now she looks like this:


My "Merry" sign is hanging here for now, but he may be moved eventually.  We'll see.


I also have another painted project in mind using this old guy:


If it goes as planned, I'll let you know :)

I can't wait to see all of your holiday projects over at CSI!  Hope you all have a fantastic day!

xoxo
LeAnne

Linking To:

Visit thecsiproject.com
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. I love your signs! I bought some similar letter stencils at Home Depot. Now to find some scrap wood. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your signs!! They turned out great and I love the aged look of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you friend for the knack love!

    I totally love, love your signs....they are super cool!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. LeAnne, your weathered Christmas signs are so charming! I love both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been featured at Saturday Mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm coming over right now!!! LOVE it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete