Thursday, October 14

Trunk Transformations

I am a little crazy over old trunks.  I couldn't even tell you how many we have around the house.  It's slightly embarrassing!  So needless to say, I died over these beauties. 





Ok, so maybe not beautiful in their original conditions, but all it takes is a little vision.  :)  Both sat inside an old house on our property for years.  Kind of obvious from the photos, right? 




These were not the easiest of projects.  I'll admit.  My arm muscles hated me for weeks (or maybe loved me for giving them such a workout).  It took a lot of scraping to get these babies clean.  In the end, it was worth it.  I shouted for joy the moment I found the beautiful wood beneath layers and layers of paint and gooey "gunk."

Here they are in their reclaimed "gloriousness" {if that's not a real word, it should be}



  



The one above has a great "Restoration Hardware" feel to it. 

In fact, I found one very similar in their fall catalog for....get this...$1795.00!! 


I think it's nuts...the difference between that price and the amount of buckaroos I have in these guys {somewhere around the ballpark figure of ZERO!}   Hooray for decorating on a small budget!

Moral of the story.  Don't pass something off as junk too quickly.  Stare at it for a while and see if you can envision it as something beautiful.   With a little work, it probably will be!

xoxo LeAnne

2 comments:

  1. I love how your trunks turned out - beautiful! I totally agree with your decorating philosophy of recycling junk. I have a very old trunk that I picked up at a yard sale for $5 and Mr. Rubbish(husband) was like why did you buy that!?? I have to admit, I am a little nervous to begin work on it because it is in such bad shape, but you have inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete