Tuesday, October 12

I think I'll call her Janna.



Hard to believe, but this table was stored away in someones shed, hidden by two more tables and a ton of junk sitting on top!  {Good junk...I took it all home with me}.  I couldn't understand why someone would put away something so lovely to be forgotten.  But their loss, my gain, right?  :)  It just so happened that I had been "shopping" for a dining room table for a while and this little lady was perfect. 

So I thought...

I took her home with me {she barely fit in the car} and got to work.  I couldn't contain my excitement.  Well, until I started stripping and sanding and stripping and sanding and hit PLYWOOD!  Disaster.  Complete disappointment.  Has something like that ever happened to you?  My vision of a beautiful dark stained wood dining table was ruined.  She became my "work bench" and sat in the garage for a month.  I really wish I had taken pictures of her in this state. She was so depressing....

And then she spoke to me.

So, I layered on the Kiltz primer, sanding in between coats {I did attempt to use spray primer, but this table would have taken about 10 cans and I always try to be as thrifty as possible}.  Then I covered her with my favorite shade of "white" - Valspar Woodrow Wilson Putty.  She was a little boring that way, so I painted the bow-tie design with a leftover can of black paint I had from painting our front door.  I distressed her just enough and antiqued her with mocha glaze.  A few coats of Polycrylic (not Polyurethane since it would yellow the white) and she was complete! 





I adore her.  She's so unique...I've never seen anything like her.   And surprisingly, my husband really likes her too even though he's more of a natural wood type guy.  She'll definitely need the right home, someone who appreciates her character and personality.  But for now, I'll just enjoy admiring her in my garage!

xo LeAnne

2 comments:

  1. I love how you did the top! And yes, stuff like that happens to me all the time, though I tend to avoid stripper like the plague!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing this link! This is a great story and gives me hope that I can turn our table into something as fabulous as this table you painted. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete