Friday, October 22

Halltree Makeover

Happy Friday everyone! I am so glad the weekend is almost here.  Go Clemson Tigers! 

So, today I am flashing back just a little.  This was one of my first big projects several months ago.  It's also one of my favorites. I found this adorable hall tree from a local vendor, The Old House Salvage in Piedmont.  If you haven't checked him out, you should! {visit him here} His property is slap FULL of rescued material from old buildings around our area and it's one of my favorite places to visit.


This hall tree was hanging out on his front porch and when he offered it to me for a really awesome price, I decided to take her home with me.  I wasn't in love with her yet, but I saw her potential.  I had been searching for a hall tree...and I really wanted a new project!


 
I debated for a while over what to do with her.  Refinish or paint?  I went with paint.  I primed her really good with Kiltz spray primer {and primed the driveway a little in the process...oops!}  Then I picked out a few sample colors and went to town.  BTW, I love sample paint sizes.  Super cheap and perfect for smaller projects! 

I didn't sand her because she really didn't need it.  I just covered her first with an off white {2 coats} and then filled in the details with a baby blue and light gray.  I love how the color brings out the carved detail!  

After allowing the paint to dry, I distressed her around the edges and raised areas and then finished her off with a coat of poly.  Looking back, I would have used polycrylic instead of polyurethane, but I didn't know any better then.  The white has yellowed just a touch, but I'm okay with that.  You live and you learn.  I think the tint adds to her character!

 
Right now she is hanging out in our laundry room.  I like to use her hardware as a drying rack :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!  Thanks for stopping by.
  
xoxo LeAnne

2 comments:

  1. Nice choice of colors. This looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great redo. I saw you at FFF. Love the fun colors.

    ReplyDelete